Lesson Plan Description
Students in this lesson will be introduced to 2d shapes. Review shapes from grade 1, what do we know about shapes? Compare shapes using two attributes. Students will demonstrate their knowledge by playing 'guess my shape' in small groups, not naming shape name but by describing shape by its attributes.
Primary Learning Objective(s):
describe, compare, and construct 2-D shapes, including
Additional Learning Objective(s):
- sort 2-D shapes and 3-D objects using two attributes and explain the sorting rule
- identify and name two common attributes of items within a given sorted group
- sort a given set of 2-D shapes (regular and irregular) according to two attributes and explain the sorting rule
- sort a given set of 2-D shapes and explain the sorting rule
- identify common attributes of triangles, squares, rectangles, and circles from given sets of the same type of 2-D shapes
- identify given 2-D shapes with different dimensions and orientations
- Read story on shapes to introduce 2D shapes
- Class created mind map- what do we know about shapes already from grade 1.
- expain vocabulary- write and define on chart paper- verticies, vertex, edge
- introduce plastic 2d shapes one at a time; brainstorm attributes. How many sides? how many vertices?
- Guess my shape: Have students in small groups describe a shape to their group without saying the shape name for others to guess shape.
- Compare and contrast shapes: venn diagram- triangle and square. how are the shapes differnt how are they the same.
- plastic 2D shapes
- Different sizes of 2D shapes
- 2d Shape chart
- Formative Assessment
- Class participation, and ability to stay on task monitored through observation.
- Checklist - able to name 2d shapes/ describe shape using 2 attribues/ compare shapes using 2 attributes