Introduction to Grade 1 Dance
Lesson Plan Description
This introductory lesson introduces students to what dance is. It allows the teacher to get grade 1 students excited about dancing. An introduction to the fundamental styles of dance,this class is designed for students new to dance. Students will also learn basic dance vocabulary.
Primary Learning Objective(s):
Dance elements used:
Additional Learning Objective(s):
- Warm up and cool down bodies
- Students use specified loco motor movement to move creatively throughout the room.
- Apply their creative talents
- Learn and apply new dance steps in a choreographed dance.
General Outcome A:
Students will acquire skills through a variety of developmentally appropriate movement activities; dance, games, types of gymnastics, individual activities and activities in an alternative environment; e.g., aquatics and outdoor pursuits.
General Outcome B:
Students will understand, experience and appreciate the health benefits that result from physical activity.
- Functional Fitness
- Body Image
General Outcome C:
Students will interact positively with others.
- Fair Play
General Outcome D:
Students will assume responsibility to lead an active way of life.
- Goal Setting/Personal
Have students “blow up the balloon” and sit in a circle. *this gets them into a nice circle and preps them to working nicely while holding hands with other students in the circle.
1) Opening Discussion:
- Do you know what kinds of dance?
- Have you ever seen dance? On T.V? etc
- What is your favorite type of dance?
- Did you know dance uses body to tell story?
- Ask to demonstrate different kinds of facial expressions could use to tell a story
- Ask to demonstrate different kinds of gestures to tell a story. Read Dance Story/Show Dancer pictures/Show Books with pictures: Suggeted Books- The Nutcracker
2) Have students stand up on feet
- In circle they will do a warm up following the teacher Music suggested: Disney Mambo #5
3) Dance Game: Moving to the Beat/ (* Gets dancers practicing counting to 8 counts):
- Divide class in half
- Half with clap to 8 while the other group moves for 8 then freezes for 8
- Switch groups
4) Get students to come back into the circle: Emotion Hat Game: students put on hat and have to walk around circle. Class guesses what emotion/story they are telling us. Sponge Activities: Start working on a circle dance/folk dance Game of Dance and Freeze
- iPod or Dance CDs
- Speakers or CD player
- Dance Books etc
- Stickers for right hand
- Emotion/magic hat
- Did students demonstrate understanding of using their bodies to represent and tell stories?
- Were students successfully able to count to music using 8 counts?